Friday, February 3, 2012

Book Review- Chanakya's Chant


Chanakya's ChantChanakya's Chant by Ashwin Sanghi
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

There can be stories we don't agree with, but the manner of story telling can make us fall in love with it and the same story can go on to remain etched in our memory for a long time. That's the beauty of 'Chanakya's Chant' and the genius of Ashwin Sanghi.


This book did to me what 'Godfather' had done a month back. As a person, there was no way that I could appreciate the 'wisdom' being propagated by either Chanakya or his modern avatar Professor Gangasagar Mishra- that ends justify the means, that all politics is dirty, that revealing your true feelings never serves any good- in short that you have to suppress everything that is human in you and be consumed by the ultimate aim. Yet I couldn't help appreciating the same 'wisdom' as a psychology student. The sheer intellect and raw cunning of the both the kingmakers began to impress me from the word go and the breath-taking pace at which it ran compelled me to finish it in 2 settings flat.

Anybody who has a fair amount of interest in politics or historical/mythological fiction will love this book. Even if she/he doesn't agree with what it espouses.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Your comment might prove to be just the push needed for me to write more frequently and with a bit more thought and planning. Do take out a minute or two and tell me what you felt about this blog or this post of mine and any suggestions you think might prove to be useful. Your comment is highly awaited...