Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Book Review: Catch 22

Catch-22Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


It is extremely rare that I leave a book unfinished(i rarely pick up unsung authors LOL) and this one made it extremely difficult in the first few pages to not dump it. The wit, the sarcasm,the paradoxes were a great too many in the beginning, blowing me out of my mind and making me fall in love with the writer astoundingly fast and as quickly, started appearing repititive, monotonous, even tortorous. I decided to persevere.
Perhaps this had more to do with my general attitude these days as exams are going on.
Surprisingly, I was paid beautifully for my patience very soon. I got almost addicted to the second half and finished the last 200 pages in 2 readings (big achievement when u r a DU student appearing for final university exams).

Now, what exactly is it that made this book such a favourite? The supremely intelligent sarcasm, the fantastic paradoxes, the loud humor- all making it the best work of satire I have laid my hands on. The irrationality dominating the war times, the sheer illogicality of war in itself is so beautifully touched, there were times I was amazed I had not heard more about it. The few friends who said they had tried reading it, had left unflattering remarks. None had read it from cover to cover. I will now 'make' them read it as soon as the exams get over. IT is right there in my top favourites shelf and I bless the book vendor uncle in Kamla Nagar who recommended it to me.
Thoroughly entertaining, intellectually stimulating, rib tickling, thought provoking- all at the same time.
My feminist leanings made me remove the last start, otherwise, it is one of the best books I have read so far.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I too had started reading this one after a friend recommended it to me. I liked it initially, but unlike you, was not patient enough to get beyond the first 50-60 pages I think. Having read this review, I might just get back to finish it now :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Your comment might prove to be just the push needed for me to write more frequently and with a bit more thought and planning. Do take out a minute or two and tell me what you felt about this blog or this post of mine and any suggestions you think might prove to be useful. Your comment is highly awaited...