Saturday, June 9, 2012

Book Review: By The River Piedra I Sat Down And Wept


By the River Piedra I Sat Down and WeptBy the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept by Paulo Coelho
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A gem of a book. Period.
The warrior of light was great, The alchemist was good and Veronica decides to die was so-so but this one is in a different league altogether.
Paulo Coelho is his usual poetic self and the messages he has conveyed are ones that will stay with me all my life. He made me smile and weep tears of joy and in the process profoundly added to my views on love. Sample this:" Love can consign us to hell or to paradise, but it always takes us somewhere. We simply have to accept it, because it is what nourishes our existence. If we reject it, we die of hunger, because we lack the courage to stretch out a hand and pluck the fruit from the branches of the tree of life. We have to take love where we find it, even if that means hours, days, weeks of disappointment and sadness. The moment we begin to seek love, love begins to seek us. And to save us.”


This book also talks about the feminine face of God, taking risks, embracing the unknown and the unexpected and embarking on a journey of inner growth. Sample this: “Pitiful is the person who is afraid of taking risks. Perhaps this person will never be disappointed or disillusioned; perhaps she won’t suffer the way people do when they have a dream to follow. But when that person looks back – and at some point everyone looks back – she will hear her heart saying, “What have you done with the miracles that God planted in your days? What have you done with the talents God bestowed on you? You buried yourself in a cave because you were fearful of losing those talents. So this is your heritage; the certainty that you wasted your life.”

At times I felt like my thoughts had been given words, like “That is why I write - to try to turn sadness into longing, solitude into remembrance” and “Break the glass, please, and free us from all these damned rules, from needing to find an explanation for everything, from doing only what others approve of.”

It was, however, the ending that made sure this is one book I'm going to recommend to everyone.Its too good and I'm very badly inclined to post it here. But I'm gonna resist and ask you to go read it. Please do. It could just be the book you were looking for.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Your comment might prove to be just the push needed for me to write more frequently and with a bit more thought and planning. Do take out a minute or two and tell me what you felt about this blog or this post of mine and any suggestions you think might prove to be useful. Your comment is highly awaited...